The father refuses to acknowledge paternity

If the father refuses to acknowledge paternity for the child, the mother can file a complaint to establish paternity at the family court. In this case, where it is likely that the father neither cares nor maintains any contact with the child, the family court will order the father to take a paternity test.

If the test confirms paternity, then the father’s nationality is decisive for the residence status of the mother and the child. In case the father is a German citizen, the child acquires German citizenship by birth. The mother will, in turn, be granted a residence permit until the child is of legal age (see above). If the father is not a German citizen and refuses to maintain contact with the child, this constellation will make it very difficult for the mother and the child to receive a long-term residence permit.